Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Romans 1:7-12

To Paulos, greetings, my brother! May this note find you well as you travel. Thank you for your good words, I see what you are saying regarding the specification of 'on the basis of the resurrection from the dead'. I see your point, and I will make adjusments to my translation.

As to your comments regarding Jesus as 'son of God'. I concur that Paul has in mind not simply the Davidic typology, but also the typology of Israel and Adam as God's son. Would this be good to bring out at this point, since the emphasis seems to be on the Davidic type, which though is a representative type of all the others called 'son of God'? Or would it be better to show the connections of Israel and Adam to David, when we come to them in the letter, especially since at this point David is the one specifically mentioned?

With this, what do you think about the reference to Romans 8, with the connections between resurrection, Spirit and son and the believer? Now that I reflect on it, I suppose that if I mention this as a potential link to be unpacked by Paul later on in the letter, I should also mention the sonship theology, especially since that plays a significant role in the letter.

Well, I know that you may not be able to post for a few days, so I will continue to stick with the schedule, and then as you are able you can offer your guidance.

Again grace to you!

Here is my next translation and commentary:

7 To all those in Rome, the beloved of God, called saints, grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus the Messiah. 8 First, then, I give thanks to my God through Jesus the Messiah for all of you, because your faith is announced in the whole world. 9 For God is my witness, before whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, as to how I constantly remember you, 10 always at the time of my praying, I implore that by the will of God I might somehow at last succeed in coming to you. 11 For I desire to see you, so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, that you might be established—12 that is, that we might be mutually encouraged through faith both yours and mine.

After showing that his apostleship has certain entailments over the Christians in Rome, Paul addresses his recipients in typical fashion, showing that Jesus and God the Father are not at odds with one another. Rather, it is from both God the Father and the Lord, Jesus the Messiah that grace and peace are to come to them. Those in Rome who swear allegiance to Jesus the Messiah, are the beloved ones of God and are called saints. These terms remind us of Israel, which was the beloved of God and called saints. These terms are no longer confined to Israel, which was made of Jews and defined by Torah. Now these terms are used with regard to those who call on the name of Jesus, for those who are defined by him, a people which is made of both Jew and Gentile.

Paul, in verse 8, specifically gives thanks to God the Father through Jesus the Messiah, because the faith of the roman Christians is announced in the whole empire. Since Paul has already mentioned in v. 6 the connection between faith and obedience, that is obedience to Jesus the Messiah flows from trust in/faith in Jesus as God's appointed Messiah, Paul here mentions the faith of the roman Christians. We are not, though, to see that the faith is over and against obedience, rather since Paul has already made the link between faith leading to obedience, we should see that Paul's mention of faith intimates obedience as well.

Paul, in verse 9, calls upon God, the one whom he worships with his spirit as he announces the good news of the reign of Jesus the king of the world, as his witness concerning how he prays constantly for his recipients that he might be permitted by God to visit the roman church. Why does Paul seek to come to them so fervently? Because he seeks to impart a spiritual gift to them, that they may be established. What is this spiritual gift? It seems like it is defined in verse 12, which is the mutually encouragement that comes through faith, that is the faith of both Paul and the church. Paul was seeking fellowship, and with this fellowship he would be encouraged, and the church would be encouraged, and the church specifically would be established by this encouragement which comes through faith.

No comments: