Sunday, January 01, 2006

My Absence


I regret greatly that I have not posted in some time on this blog. The posting will begin again on Monday, January 2nd and continue from there. The large reason for my absence is that my 86 year-old grandmother died two weeks ago. It was a sweet passing, falling to sleep while I prayed for her and entrusted her to our Lord to raise her up on the last day. At her death her sons and their wives were around her, along with me and my family. She is now buried and with her Lord as she waits with others who have fallen asleep waiting for King Jesus to return.

Above is a picture of the headstone. She is buried next to my grandfather, who preceeded her in death in 1990. I long for the day, when Jesus returns and transforms all who belong to him, so that we will be like him on a new, snake-free earth.


1 comment:

abcaneday said...

Timotheos,

We grieve with you.

I am reminded of a scene in Gods and Generals, which my wife and I watched again last night as we moved from the old to the new year. The scene is after General Jackson has learned of the death of five-year-old Jane Corbin. He walks several yards away from Dr. McGuire and the other officers to weep. One officer comments that he had never seen the General cry for any of his men, not even for his young cadets from VMI. Another corrects him by observing that General Jackson is weeping for all of them as they watch.

So it is with grief, at least for me. With the passing of another individual, I do not weep for that individual alone. I weep over the whole lot of individuals that I have known who have died. Such is the way of life, I think, particularly for Christians. It is the kind of weeping that begins to approach Jesus' weeping at the tomb of Lazarus. It is not a weeping for the passing of an individual or even for individuals so much as it is a weeping on account of the curse of death, the shroud that covers us all (Isa 25:8; 1 Cor 15:54).

Hence, Christians weep with those who weep. I join you, Timotheos, in your sorrow but also in your great hope of resurrection.